- When choosing a costume, avoid long trailing fabric.
- Provide children with flashlights to carry for lighting or glow sticks as part of their costume.
- Dried flowers or cornstalks catch fire easily. Keep decorations away from open flames and other heat sources such as light bulbs and heaters.
- Use battery-operated candles in jack-o-lanterns.
- Remember to keep exits clear of decorations, so nothing blocks escape routes.
- Make sure all smoke alarms in the house are working.
- Tell children to stay way from open flames including pumpkins with candles in them. Be sure they know how to stop, drop and roll if their clothing catches fire.
Download: West Fargo Fire Department Pumpkin Carving Template (PDF)