The mission of the Forestry Department is to promote and maintain a safe and healthy urban forest that enhances the visual appeal and environmental quality of the City of West Fargo. The Forestry Department accomplishes this mission through public education to make the citizens aware of the great importance of tree planting and maintenance.
Agendas & Minutes
Tree City USA®
The City of West Fargo is proud to be recognized as a Tree City USA community since 1984 through the Arbor Day Foundation.
To receive Tree City recognition communities must meet these four standards:
- Maintain a Forestry Board or Department
- Have a City Tree Ordinance - Read West Fargo's Here
- Spend at least $2 per capita on Urban Forestry
- Celebrate Arbor Day
A thriving urban forest offers many advantages to communities. Here are just a few:
Tree Pruning & Maintenance
It is the duty of all persons, whether owners or tenants, to keep the shade trees along the public streets and avenues adjoining their property trimmed in such a manner that the trees shall not interfere with travel on streets, avenues and sidewalks. Tree limbs and branches must be pruned eight feet above sidewalks and fourteen feet above streets and alleys.
Curbside Brush Pickup
The City has a grapple truck for the purpose of curbside brush pickup. Below are the guidelines property owner's must follow to ensure all brush gets collected by the Sanitation Department:
- The curbside brush pickup program runs from May 1 to Oct. 31.
- All brush must be out by 7 a.m. on your garbage day.
- All brush must be in one pile.
- All piles must be at least 10 feet away from any tree, hydrant, streetlight, mailbox, utility box or anything in the boulevard that would impede the grapple from collecting the brush.
- Roots and stumps cannot be collected by the grapple truck. Bring these items to the Transfer Station at no cost at 1620 Main Ave W, West Fargo between 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, or 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday.
- Curbside brush pickup (PDF): Information regarding the curbside brush pickup program.
Diagnosis of Tree Diseases or Other Tree-Related Issues
If you are experiencing any tree problems or you have a question regarding your trees, please contact the Forestry Department.
If you would like a tree on your property to be inspected, or if you believe you have an Emerald Ash Borer Infestation complete the Tree Diagnosis Form and a member of the Forestry Department will contact you to come inspect your tree.